Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Jail is being a domesticated animal

So I did my little stint of jail time. Only friday-sunday. It was alright. Could have been a lot worse. Surprisingly there are interesting people in jail, although every single one of them has been in and out of jail a lot. What the fuck?! You'd think after the first or second time they'd go "hey, I don't want to be stuck in here anymore." But no. They continue... Fucking idiots.

So jail. It's like being a domesticated animal. You have a small space you're confined to.

-I was in a place called the Ferris center which is a place for people to be stuck there but also get to go to work, since they weren't too bad. So it was basically a main room about 15 x 45. With 8 small off-shoots which housed 3 steel bunk-beds, and 6 lockers. There was also a bathroom which had 3 toilets, 1 urinal, 4 showers, and 4 sinks.-

So back to the animal feeling. There's the small confined place, analogous to a house for a pet. You get fed when they feed you (which was 5:15, 11:00, and 5) which is obviously how most house pets have to deal with it. You don't get to go outside. Now this is a bit different for animals, even worse one might say, because I had the ability piss whenever I wanted. Animals usually have to be let out.

I now understand why dogs get so excited when they can go for a walk. I would have attempted a backflip if one of the deputies would have put a lease on me and said "let's go outside!" even though it was -20 out.

All in all, I now will be diligently walking my dog whenever I can, or taking her for car rides or something, because we all take for granted to freedom we have just by being able to open doors.

Onto the poem. I didn't get the inspiration to write while inside jail but I did while talking to my girlfriend (who I started dating Feb 1st of this year.) on the phone last night. It was an idea that popped into my head while thinking of past relationships, so I'm going to write this off the top of my head.


Trust without Trust

You say that you care about me
You've been wrong in the past, I understand.
You say you 'mainly' trust me
Yet all of my trust you demand.

Why is it I should invest myself
When you refuse to follow suit?
Why should I give my all
When you only give the minute?

Expecting everything from me
Heart soul and mind.
Yet what I get from you
I am forced to find.

Semantics and excuses
Become your weaponry,
I do hope you realize
You're conjuring catastrophe.

No more will I endure this tragedy
Your wish no longer my command,
Our once flourishing paradise
Now lay buried by your hand.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i always imagine jail like in the movies: dark, wet, dirty, all of that, but i know it's not like that for real lol

either way, i think i would starve there.. i like to eat every now and then at least SOMETHING xD

Elise said...

It took going to jail to appreciate why your dog likes to go for a walk?!

At least you learned something! xx

Michelle Hix said...

Congratulations on the new girl! Hope you wrote her a nice poem for tomorrow. This poem was great. I love the word catastrophe for some reason.

HeatherrrEloise said...

great poem.
i can relate to that,
with all my recent events.


jail.
you little badass you.


actually i always think
of american history x when
i think of jail.
ew...terrible shower scene...

jeff said...

Yeah, jail, man, it sucks. I was thinking the exact same thing when I was in jail. Why the fuck would anyone do anything to get back in here??? And that loss of freedom is so huge, no one can fully understand it 'til they experience it. Anyway, nice poem. I can relate to most of it in a past relationship.