Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Another final

So I'm sitting in the library at my school right now, for lack of anything better to do... While refusing to study for a final I'll probably fail. That's beside the point. I've found there are some interesting observations to be made in this place. So I decided I'd put it into a poem. Hurray, right?

The Library

The keyboards clicking like a gaggle of geese honk,
Millions of keystrokes per minute,
How many of them are correcting errors I wonder?

The atmosphere is an abnormal tension,
Not that which can be cut by a knife,
But taut enough in which the air feels thick.

Knowledge being converted to a structured word processor,
A form of rebirth like that of a phoenix,
Though this time it comes out like a test-tube abomination.

Cold glances from the screen every once and again,
No one speaks, no one shows emotion,
A secluded prison state in which "education" takes place.

Only 3 clocks in a room the size of a house,
Are we not supposed to know the time?
Maybe they like to keep us on our toes.

Ipods and cell phones,
The only link to the outside world here,
Will we ever make it past that stolen book detector?

Intensity fluctuates like sound waves,
The silent roar of citing and research grips even me,
I hope their work pays off,
So they can be happy with the way they waste the rest of their lives,
Maybe one of them will be a librarian and realize their strife.

3 comments:

Commissioner said...

my favorite line is "A secluded prison state in which education takes place"

Kat Mortensen said...

Hi Christopher! Thank you so much for the glowing review of my poem "You Conned?". I'm always so happy when people enjoy my work.
I would be pleased to be a part of a Poets' Ring. Just let me know what you need me to do, and I'm there.
I really like this piece of yours. I love the metaphor with the gaggle of geese - so true. Oddly enough, this poem recalls one that I wrote in university (oh in about 1982!)Although the topic is a bit more intense, it's written in much the same way. Let me know if you'd like to see it.

Kat

Anonymous said...

"How many of them are correcting errors I wonder?"

exactly why i hate studying in libraries. in the most quiet place, you get so distracted by everyone else, wondering about their worries, instead of worrying about yours.